Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Elevate ended... and so did my friendships

Funny how life is different now that I no longer spend 24/7 with 13 of the craziest, most diverse, fun people. I am learning all over again that friendships in the real world take effort, energy and lots of time. I no longer have 5 lunch options and 13 people who are always in for any crazy idea.

This has been a recently thought on my heart. I really want to make more of an effort to keep up with friends and family. I want you all to know how valuable you are to me and how often I think of you even though I may not call or write. There is this funny thing that I do- if I have a friend that I haven't spoken with in a while, I tend to put off calling them even longer because I want to talk to them for a long time but never make that much time in my schedule just to sit down and call them. So then more time passes and they think I don't care because I don't just call them. I should just pick up the phone even if I only have 5 min. At least to let you know I care.

I want to work on making relationships a priority in my time. We did this "living your strengths" test and half of mine were work focused and the other half were people focused, so naturally I am torn between my to do list and my relationships.
But now I have recognized this, I will be working on it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for being so honest Colleen.... many people realize they are getting away from some of their good friends, but just let it go, don't keep up, b/c it DOES take work and effort. And DEDICATION. You seem like a good friend and I hope you continue to grow in that.

Barton Pickens said...

Hey Girl your friendships never end they are just carried in the heart of someone a little ways away from you, stay strong and know Im praying for and missing the craziest person for Christ I know

IN HIS GRIP

Stephanie Musso said...

Colleen - The title of this post is sort of sad! But as you said in your post...you can change that...a 3 minute phone call could be just what your friend needed at that moment! Listen to your heart and continue to cultivate the relationships that have grown during the last 9 months - they will flourish and bring you great joy! Love, Momma Moose

Anonymous said...

It is SO true- glad we keep in touch though. I love you thorpedo! Always have and always will!

Hope Madison was great, see you Tuesday night

Paula said...

awh... you know those were probrably the most lasting friendships that you have ever built. It'll just be different and look how much you've learned about the value of the people in and around your life. Any way it looks like you've realized what is also valualbe to him...RELATIONSHIP!!!


great post!!!It really hit me about valuing those all around me more!!!

Connie Firmin said...

I'm ready for coffee whenever you are! I LOVE our little visits here and there. I have to confess that I do the same (put off calling when I have not talked in a while). Love & miss you!!!! See you soon!

Kaycee said...

here is your comment! i love you! and our friendship will never end...it will go on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! haha