In classes I have heard this line a lot- "Don't do the work of the Lord and neglect the Lord of the work". As a task-oriented person, I am terrified that I will be so into my to do list, that I will forget the people I am doing it for. I don't want to lose the original passion and enthusiasm that God placed within me.
In 1 Thess 5:19 Paul reminds the Thessalonians "Do not quench the Spirit". I looked up to quench and it means "to extinguish or put out as a in a fire". How cool that the Holy Spirit is known as a fire! Paul was saying to make sure that we don't let the flame of the Holy Spirit within us be put out or be extinguished.
When looking in context you can see how to make sure that doesn't happen. He says to: "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
So the components of making sure to keep this fire burning are to:
1. rejoice ALWAYS- be filled with joy, thrive no matter what the circumstances
2. pray WITHOUT CEASING- keep in constant communication with God
3. IN EVERYTHING give thanks- be grateful for things, people, and in tangibles
THIS IS GOD'S WILL FOR YOU IN CHRIST JESUS!
So then I keep letting the thoughts roll and it brought me back to a teaching by the outstanding Ps. Mike Davis at the elevate retreat. He spoke about Karate Kid and one line he keep repeating was, "Don't forget to breathe". What keeps a fire going is oxygen. To keep the flame buring high, you need more oxygen. When you cover the flame or suffocate it, the fire will go out.
With all of that here is what I have come up with. My mathematical formula to destroy my greatest fear:
(joyful demeanor + attitude of prayer + heart of thanksgiving)* x breathing time = UNQUENCHABLE Spirit!
*note: this has no regard to circumstance or external environment
Lord, I pray that you would rekindle the fire you have placed in your children. Fan the flame of joy and thanksgiving in our hearts. Renew your Holy Spirit within us so that we may ever praise you! This is your will for us in Jesus Christ. Amen!!
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
AWESOME! Love it!
Colleen,
This is Terry Hartley. Sorry this post isn't about your blog post but I ran across this from Bill Wester's blog and was excited to "see" you so to speak. I hope you are doing well. Email me at terrylhartley@yahoo.com and let me know how you are doing.
Terry
Post a Comment