Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The "But I tell yous..."

Yesterday morning the Lord directed me to read the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew ch. 5-7). It is just such a rich part of scriptures with so many nuggets that Jesus shares with the crowd. It is so fun to read the Word because I seem to find something new every time I read. This time while I was reading, I noticed a repetitive phrase that I found so interesting: "...but I tell you..." Jesus speaks to the people saying "You have heard..." in regards to: murder, adultery, divorce, eye for an eye, and loving your neighbor, but after each statement he says, "BUT I tell you..."

It made me think about my dad. He was the most loving and compassionate man I know. He was not a rule setter but he had some standards that he expected me to live by. For example when I got my license, he expected me to drive for a few month WITHOUT any friends in the car. Once I proved myself, he would eventually let one, then two then three others in the car with me. These standards were only in place for my protection or to build my character. Sometimes, even with how lenient he was, I would complain that this was not the standards that other parents had for their children. He was quick to reply, "BUT they aren't my children and they don't live in this house".

I think about this in the context of Christ. Our heavenly Father set some standards for his children to live by. Sometimes as his children we complain, "But dad, other people can do this and don't have a problem". He is quick to reply, "but they aren't my children; they don't live in my house ". This makes all the difference. With the house, come standards, but from the same house comes blessing, favor, protection, honor, forgiveness, and redemption.

So next time your Father says, "But I tell you..." Listen to Him. It is for your protection, to build character in you. Remember, this is all because you are His child.

No comments: